Is high school too late to learn to spell well?
The trouble is that we didn’t get anywhere.
Common errors they were making include:
- Not knowing how to add an ending (dropping an /e/ or doubling a consonant, for instance)
- Improper word choice when it comes to homophones and homonyms
- Leaving out silent letters (as in ‘solemn’ or ‘yolk’)
- Adding letters that shouldn’t be there or missing letters that should
- Wrong phonogram choice (‘rens’ instead of ‘wrens’)
High school seems late to study spelling, yes, but it isn’t.
1. They don’t drag it out.
2. They pay closer attention to the spelling patterns.
4. They become motivated.